CV - Bio - Workshops
About Jennifer Hicks
I have been involved with art for 30 years as a student, teacher, technician, curator, artist, and event organizer.
During 2018 I spearheaded The MAS Project, managed a Multilingual Community Mural, co-ordinated an Arts Festival, was chosen for two Juried Exhibits, exhibited with several group shows and had an exhibit in the Community Space at Tom Thomson Art Gallery.
2019 projects include:
- Guest Artist for upcoming exhibition with Grey Highlands Artist Collective
- Simcoe Mural Project
- Instagram Promo with Nadia George @nadiageorgeofficial
- Banner Collaboration with Torrie Ironstar @t_ironstar_artist at Durham ArtsFest July 14
- Participation at Nuit Blanche North
- Artist Mentor with Snow Lake Initiative
- Interview on the Hamilton Radio Show "Art Waves"
- Participation at One World Festival, Owen Sound
- Coordination of Doors Open Exhibit for Owen Sound
Coming Up in 2020:
- Head Heart Hands Murals with Inuit Communities
- Simcoe Mural Project
- Invited Exhibitor with Grey Highlands Artist Collective at L.E.Shore Gallery
- Group Exhibition at Tom Thomson Art Gallery
My paintings can currently be viewed at Markdale Hospital in Markdale, Owen Sound City Hall, Nak'd Basics Apothecary and are in private collections across Canada.
I work to question and engage, striving to offer a reflexive expression of culture and community. I enjoy interaction with viewers and offer shared hands on, with recent themes of energetic and environmental imprint and heritage, especially in relation to Truth and Reconciliation Council recommendations and calls to action. I believe that every viewer will unravel exactly what they want and need from a piece depending on their own experience and time in life and how they meet the art.
Customized Creative Workshops
Workshops can integrate any subject matter and may include story development in which we co-create characters and write and illustrate a book together! Mural painting and workshops in watercolour, jewelry making, puppet making and drama are also available. With a preference for Waldorf practices, my experience as a teacher enables me to gear all workshops to ministry goals and expectations where necessary as well as ensuring they are developmentally appropriate for your school, community centre, camp or museum!